Having lived in Perth for over 10 years, I have driven past this restaurant time and time again, and for some reason, I always thought it was closed. Having heard that not only are they still open for business, they are also one of the best Japanese Restaurants in town, I had to give it a go for myself.
An izakaya is a type of Japanese drinking establishment that serves food to accompany the drinks. They are casual places for after-work drinking.
I got that off Wikipedia.
Izakaya Sakura seem to have countless amount of dishes, all squished into a two sided "bigger than A4, smaller than A3" menu, and with that many dishes, I was glad there were five of us, as I wanted to try everything.
Most memorable were:
- Mentai Mochi: The gooey mochi and the strong mentaiko was delicious, but a little bit is more than enough.
- Grilled Squid: We could not stop eating these! addictive!
- Lotus Root Chips: It's like real chips, but healthier. (At least that's what I tell myself)
- Hand Rolls: It's like a neverending treasure find with the amount of fish they put inside, at least until you finish the entire roll.
- Sashimi: A good selection, and amazingly fresh!
I'm sure there are many more dishes that are amazing, but after having the spread we had up there, we couldn't have anymore, so we ordered dessert. (Pretty sure that whole "Another stomach for Dessert" thing is true)
The green tea mochi was creamy and refreshing, and as they were quite generous with the green tea ice cream, we were all satisfied and happy.
Will definitely be back there a few more times with friends and family, with amazing food and impeccable service, its no wonder that bookings are absolutely necessary.